- Penny and Dime – Preview Story : Belladonna’s Price by: P. L. McCall IIPosted 16 hours ago
- Review – Okko: The Cycle Of Water, Vol. 1Posted 3 days ago
- Review – East of West Volume 1: The PromisePosted 1 week ago
- BSC New AdventuresPosted 1 week ago
- BONE – Returns with “Coda”Posted 2 weeks ago
- And the Winner Is – 7th Annual Book Tournament Finals Results!Posted 3 years ago
- 7th Annual Book Tournament – Round 5 ResultsPosted 3 years ago
- 7th Annual Book Tournament – Round 5 – Semi-finals!Posted 3 years ago
- 7th Annual Book Tournament – Round 4 ResultsPosted 3 years ago
- Blood of Asaheim by Chris Wraight – reviewPosted 3 years ago
And the “Wrimoes” will be dancing underneath the moonlight…
It’s November, which means that, once again, I’m going to be driving myself insane at the general rate of 2,000 or so words a day on weekdays and, failing that, spurts of up to 17,000 words on a weekend. Yes, once again, the freezer is full of frozen burritos, the cupboard is well stocked with macaroni and cheese, rice, spaghetti o’s, and cereal packages, because taking more than 2 minutes to make dinner is just too long. It’s National Novel Writing Month, and, once again, I’m participating.
I’ve been proving since 2004 that I can do this, but the drive to do it again is still strong within me. Part of it is proving to myself that yes, I’m a writer. You’d think maybe I’d be better at recognizing that in myself now, but it’s been a huge shift in thought process for me. There are pocket files in my office full of story ideas, snippets of dialog, characters, descriptions, and chunks of prose just waiting to be fitted where they belong. I carry a notebook and pen with me everywhere I go, just in case. Inspiration does strike, and it does so at the oddest times. When the idea hits, I really don’t want to lose it, so I take notes.
An essential part of my NaNoWriMo project is a collection of images and a playlist of music that I turn to for inspiration. One of the ways that I know I’m ready to start writing a particular character is when songs start reminding me of them. It’s a sign that the knowledge of them has become so deep-seated that I know how that character will react no matter what I do to them.
The playlist serving as inspiration for this NaNoWriMO?
“Danny’s Song”- Anne Murray
“War on Gravity”-Poets & Pornstars
“Hello, I Love You”-The Doors
“Honest I’ll Wait”- The Lovehammers
“Stage Fright” -The Band
“Magic Carpet Ride”-Steppenwolf
“If You Should Ever Fall on Hard times”-The Iguanas
“Lady’s Chains (Guess I’d Rather Be a Cowboy)”-John Denver
“Check Your Pocket” -The Benjy Davis Project
“Let Go” -Brother Phelps
“I Feel Free”-Cream
“Dream”- The Everly Brothers
“Long Way Home” -Enter the Haggis
“Again” Lenny Kravitz
“Never Let Me Down” Todd Snider
“Crazy Little Thing Called Love” Queen
“Long Love Letter”-Tony Lucca
“Wonderful World”-Sam Cooke
“Good Night Sweetheart”- The Spaniels
The list, of course, will continue to evolve over the course of the month. No songs will get discarded, but some will definitely be added. The word count will grow, too. And, eventually, November will draw to a close, and I’ll have at least another 50,000 words written.